Monday, January 09, 2006

Focus

I’m sitting at my computer, attempting to get my mind around my next task, which is one of the following:
  • Continue emailing people until I have enough signups for my novel class to make it go

  • Correct French assignments

  • Plan French class

  • Work on my novel

  • Plan my novel writing class
Meanwhile:
  • I seem to have a cold, which is making me dopey and unfocused.

  • Child #4 is doing a math worksheet and asking me questions about it

  • Child #3 needs to be reminded about chores

Stephen Pressfield’s book, The War of Art says,

Resistance cannot be seen, touched, heard or smelled. But it can be felt. We experience it as an energy field radiating from a work-in-potential. It’s a repelling force. It’s negative. Its aim is to shove us away, distract us, prevent us from doing our work.

The more important a call or action is to our soul’s evolution, the more resistance we will feel toward pursuing it.

A good rule of thumb. Of the above list, the work I most want to do is my novel. (The thing I least want to do is have a cold.) I have half an hour until dinner. (Which has been prepared already by child #3. What a blessing.) I wonder if I will feel less defeated if I use it to work on the novel. The classes must be planned, the work must be corrected, the children must be mothered.

Thirty minutes of not being a martyr. Ready, set…

No comments: